Monday, June 30, 2014

Celebrating Indepenence

What a great month June turned out to be! My horror story, Youthanasia, made it to the public voting round with Chilling Tales for Dark Nights' Short Story Horror Writing Contest. The story fought the good fight for the first few days, staying within the first three spots, but eventually I got knocked out. In the end, I came in somewhere in the middle. Thank you to everyone who voted for me.

Congratulations to the winners! I read everyone's stories and there were some very good ones I was up against. I am honored (and very proud of myself) to have been a part of it. In fact, I am looking forward to the next one. The way I see it, I have only been serious about my writing for the last six months and to get that far is a real treat.

After having written a horror story, I had a difficult time coming up with a sci-fi/fantasy story to submit to L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future contest. I tried and I tried but all the ideas I came up with had to do with ghosts and horror. Guess I was on a roll. And it may very well be that sci-fi/fantasy isn't for me. I enjoy reading the genre but I probably am just not cut out to write about it. And that's OK. That's what this project is all about; finding my limitations and finding myself.

For the seventh month, and seventh venture, I have decided to try to submit to a magazine. I have looked into several options and found quite a few that appeal to me. Am I going to submit to every single one of them? Probably not. Something I have learned is that I can't force myself to do something, i.e. the sci-fi story. So for this month, the month where we celebrate our independence, I am going to celebrate my own independence and not pin myself down with only one option.

Option 1: Mountain Tales Press is accepting cowboy poetry.

Option 2: The Chattahoochee Review is accepting submissions on the theme of "skin", either literal or figurative.

Option 3: Stoneboat Literary Journal is taking submissions of poetry, fiction and non-fiction works. But they are also accepting photo essays, which I am most interested in. They also accept comics and graphic fiction/non-fiction.

Option 4: Good Housekeeping is running a writing contest. Submit stories that are "All About Love."

Option 5: The Quotable will be accepting a variety of writing on the theme of "desire".

Most all of these magazines close their submissions on August 1, making my July goal perfect timing. I have some ideas for what I want to try to write for some of these and haven't figured anything out for others. I have decided that if I can submit to at least two of these magazines than I have made July a successful month.

Wish me luck and I'll do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment