Saturday, January 31, 2015

Ed Vela: The Interview

I recently sat down with my dear friend Ed Vela. Ed is a Houston-based playwright, screenwriter and the creator of the popular YouTube series, Dad vs Lad. I met Ed nearly 20 years ago, if you can believe that, when I was trying to pursue a career as a stage actress. We had a great time reconnecting over coffee and talking about the events of the last few years. 

For me, it was all about the kids, my heart procedures and my recent pursuits as a fledgling writer. For him it was all about his times in L.A., his new web series and his achievements with his screenplays. (Congrats again!) We could have talked forever about how to create the perfect  onstage conversation or how dreadful the editing process is or even how much we both hate stage parents, but I figured a marathon long interview wouldn't go over for my first podcast.

What you won't hear in the interview is what Ed is best known for; his teasing. I brought my (nearly) 14 year old son with me to meet the illustrious Ed Vela and he didn't disappoint. After they got to know each other, they got along famously, just as I knew they would. 

Writer Ed Vela with my son, goofing off
And he couldn't have been a more gracious host. We were together for more than three hours just talking about each other's lives and the art of writing. What could be more glorious than that?

Writer Ed Vela and blogger Laura Romero (me!)
Ladies and gentlemen, Writing 12 in 12 presents its first interview: Ed Vela
(click on the link to listen to our interview)


To contact Ed Vela:

edvelawriter@gmail.com
www.bigdogplays.com
www.normanmaineplays.com
Dad vs. Lad
www.doollee.comThe Quill that will Thrill

No comments:

Post a Comment