Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Die Has Been Cast

In 2014, I have decided to embark on a personal journey to expand my horizons and stretch my comfort zones. This year, my goal is to write and enter into different writing competitions every month of this year. I made this resolution for myself back in early December and started the search back then for writing competitions for January, February and March.

Shortly before New Year's Eve (Happy Anniversary, Victor!), I finally found one that I didn't have to pay to enter into. If you're like me, I don't particularly enjoy spending much money right after Christmas, especially with three children I love to spoil once a year. The competition I found is a BBC sponsored radio playwriting competition ending January 31, 2014.

The competition consists of writing a 53 minute radio play complete with rich characters, diverse backgrounds and full sound effects. I have never written a radio play before, but I look forward to the challenge of combining my limited knowledge of playwriting with the unfamiliar landscape of writing a radio play. I think, if nothing else, it will be fun learning to write for a new genre.

Their rules and guidelines are laid out very specifically. There are certain ways they want stage directions and sound effects written. Plays can be submitted via snail-mail and e-mail. When I submit my final play, I also have to include the entry form and synopsis of my radio play. As long as I can follow the rules, I figure I have as good a chance as any other struggling writer.

Wish me luck and I'll do the same for you!

1 comment: