Monday, January 6, 2014

An Education in Radio

Having never written a radio script before, I have had to go back to my Middle School days of Speech and Drama and also had to rely on my good senses. As I mentioned previously, this will be the first radio script I have written. The other scripts I have written are two dinner theatre programs that were performed but not published, a one act that is currently awaiting performance and two shorts that I previously submitted to contest, but sadly did not win. I also have a full length play that I am ever revising. I have one fiction and one non-fiction book in the works, too. Meaning they are on my computer and in my brain, but haven't been shopped around or anything. So, there you have my very small unsuccessful writing accomplishments.

As for experience with radio scripts, when I was in the seventh and eighth grades, I took Speech and Drama with Mrs. Norman. One of our many exercises was to read radio commercials and shows aloud. Granted, many of them were fake and written specially for school programs, but it was good practice. During these times, I'm sure there were lessons about the job of the Foley artists, how to read for radio, and the history and evolution of radio and such. I assume this, otherwise I wouldn't remember the things I do. Makes sense, right?

While writing this script I have been reading a lot of other scripts that have been written specifically for radio. They aren't terribly different from what I am used to writing. Slightly different format. Slightly more descriptive. I am trying to think of it like this: Shorter, more exciting scenes that keep the plot moving. After all, the story needs to be told in 53 minutes, not unfold in two hours. I have to keep in mind that the story will be heard, not seen. Character descriptions are important, but in different ways. What kind of shoes or jewelry will someone wear? How do they walk and talk? What season is it? Is it rush hour? Day time? Night time? What kind of music is in the background? Mugs or glasses? Iced or hot beverage?

Without making myself go crazy, it's a little like taking a virtual tour through my characters' minds. And I think it is going to make me a better writer overall. Maybe I will finally quit revising the one full length play I have written and finally find somewhere to submit it to. Maybe there will be one month this year I can do that. This is the year, after all, to go and put myself out there!

Wish me luck and I'll do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment